XP Power is a leading provider of electronic power supplies with revenues of $170 million. Operating throughout Asia, Europe and North America, XP Power provides power supply solutions to the industrial, medical and technology sectors and is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The Business Challenge
The risk to business operations was very high in terms of any bug or software component failure as the old version 4.7 XP were running, was no longer supported by SAP. Additionally, the cost of software maintenance was higher because of this unsupported version.
Access to new innovations was not available due to an old platform which was no longer being developed.
Why The Needed to Upgrade
- Use of new technology: SAP ERP 6.0 is the core on which all new innovations from SAP works.
- Multiple language support by adopting Unicode.
- Upgrade of IT infrastructure.
- Enhancement packs: ERP 6.0 SAP released new functionality with enhancement packs. This is a non-disruptive way to adopt new features and without the need for upgrades.
- Long term predictability – SAP extends mainstream maintenance for core applications including SAP ERP 6.0 till Dec 2025.
Invenio upgraded XP Power from SAP R/3 4.7 to SAP ERP 6.0 in order to bring the company back onto regular SAP maintenance cycle and reduce support costs.
To ensure a smooth upgrade project which was—completed on time and within budget, it was essential to have a comprehensive overview—at the project start to understand the required prerequisites for the upgrade, the potential risks that can cause problems during the upgrade, and the main effort drivers.
As a first step, Invenio performed an upgrade assessment and a detailed technical analysis of XP Power’s core SAP system to support this planning process. As an outcome, indicators from analysed focus areas were found that needed to be considered in the technical upgrade planning to avoid any unwanted surprises.